Every day, each of us can—and many already do—contribute to creating a healthier, greener, and more livable city. There are ways for each and every resident to participate in creating our Sustainable DC. Whatever your interests and skills, we hope to connect you with a way you can contribute to your neighborhood, participate in decision-making and build a sustainable career.
- Sign up: The best way to get started with Sustainable DC is to sign up for our monthly newsletter. It contains stories of people making changes, sustainability-related events, and monthly volunteer opportunities.
- Start at home: Look through our tips to save money and go green here.
- Expand locally: Adams Morgan and U Street corridor residents are creating their own sustainability plans; neighbors around Hickey Run competed to see who could install the most stormwater management landscaping; Ward 8 Woods and Hustlerz to Harvesters in Ward 7 are all community sustainability projects started by individuals. How can you organize and inspire your own neighborhood? Talk to us at [email protected].
- Volunteer: Whether it’s with Sustainable DC, Serve DC, or any of the many other excellent volunteer opportunity providers, giving your time is one of the most effective ways to make our city more sustainable. Sign up to receive bi-weekly volunteer emails for great reminders and tips on how you can participate.
- Attend an event: We maintain the event calendar below to share opportunities to attend a workshop or training, listen to a lecture, watch sustainability films, attend special events, or volunteer in service of your communities.
- Make a connection: If you work with a group that is already working in line with Sustainable DC goals, want to get more involved, or would like us to speak with your group, let us know at [email protected]. We are always looking for new partners with which to work.
- Build a career: If you're interested in finding a green job or building a sustainability career, read more about workforce development training and job opportunities here. Make sure to follow us on social media for specific job postings weekly. Find us on Twitter or Facebook.